Name:

I grin, therefore I am.

Monday, September 07, 2009

THE HIDDEN TOLL OF CIGARETTE TAXES

On October 1st the state tax on a pack of cigarettes in Connecticut will rise from $2 to $3 (no joke), and smokers are expressing their outrage. Carla Lassiter, a 34-year-old mother of three, is serving the final month of a 6-year prison sentence at York Correctional Institution for trading her newborn daughter for a carton of Marlboro Lights in 2002. "This totally SUCKS," Lassiter told reporters at a news conference on Saturday. "Here I am, about to get out of this pit, and they pass a law that guarantees I'll be back within a year. I ain't got no job, I've gotta smoke, and all I have left to trade is my son Travis, who was born last year here in the joint after I got knocked up in the laundry room by some prison guard who gave me a fake name and said he'd get me on American Idol. I sound just like Tammy Wynette, I swear. Now I'm screwed. I don't deserve this!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Counter