Name:

I grin, therefore I am.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

"NO PROBLEM"

When I am king, users of this phrase will be subjected to public floggings. It is a phrase devoid of meaningful content. Let's say you're at a restaurant and ask the waiter for an extra napkin. "No problem," he cheerfully replies, and then he proceeds to bring you an extra napkin.

Does this mean that if it WAS going to inconvenience him slightly to fetch you the napkin, his reply would have been, "Sorry, but it's a bit of a hassle for me to walk over to the napkin dispenser right now, so I don't think I will do this favor for you"? What a great message: if something is difficult to do, don't count on it getting done.

"OK, troops, at 1600 hours we're going over the top and storming the enemy's heavily armed position. Many of us will die."

"No problem."

I'm glad we've cleared this up. Our next prohibited phrase will be, "Have a good one!" More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Counter